Edward Cagney Mathews Removed From His Home In Handcuffs By Mount Laurel Police (Update)

Earlier we reported about the viral video that showed racist Edward Cagney Mathews making racist remarks toward his black neighbor in Mount Laurel, NJ. The video was captured last Friday on July 2nd, and as mentioned before, folks showed up and showed out in front of his home after he shouted out his address in the viral clip. They protested in defense of his neighbor who he was seen harassing.

Around 7:30 pm today, multiple videos show a large crowd outside of his home, as he was escorted out by Mount Laurel Police in handcuffs. As mentioned before Mathews is facing harassment and biased intimidation charges.

NBC 10 Philadelphia reports that last Friday when a woman called police on Mathews for harassment, he was taken into police custody, and later released after an investigation. During the investigation, he was hit with harassment and biased intimidation charges, but they were placed on a summons by a municipal court judge and scheduled to be heard at an upcoming court date.

On Monday, after police removed Mathews from his home he was taken back into custody at the Burlington County Jail, where he’ll remain until his first court appearance later this week.

Mathews has been accused of harassment from other neighbors in the past. However, when it comes to being a racist, he seems to think that he does not fit that label.

He told NBC 10 on Monday, “I’ve never been a racist. I’ve made mistakes. Said racial slurs out of anger or being drunk. I may not be able to relate to communities of color but I am not a racist and I have the utmost respect for us as a community.”

When it comes to the aftermath of the protest outside of Mathews’ home, Mount Laurel Police Chief Stephen Riedener said that about 10 to15 police officers were pepper-sprayed and had bottles thrown at them. Some surrounding homes also reportedly experienced some damage. Cheif Riedener said body camera footage will be used to identify individuals who may have caused any damage or intentionally attacked officers.

Nonetheless, he did acknowledge that most of the protesters that were there remained peaceful. He stated, “On large part the protesters that were here were peaceful and they were actually working with us and we spoke to many of them to try to get them to cooperate with us so that we could keep everyone safe. And that was our goal from the minute we got here to make sure everyone was safe and our community was safe.”


Check out the full video in its entirety.



Want updates directly in your text inbox? Hit us up at 917-722-8057 or click here to join!  


TSR STAFF: Jade Ashley @Jade_Ashley94

Leave a Comment