Falcons pass-rusher Barkevious Mingo was arrested earlier this week and charged with indecency with child, sexual contact, according to various reports. He posted a $25,000 bond in Tarrant County, Texas, and was released, Pro Football Talk reported, citing court records.
“Our organization became aware of the allegations involving Barkevious Mingo today and are currently gathering information on this incident,” the Falcons said Saturday in a statement released to PFT. “The Falcons take the allegations very seriously and will continue to monitor the situation.”
Mingo, 30, was the No. 6 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. He was a member of the Browns, Patriots, Colts, Seahawks, Texans and Bears before joining the Falcons.
Mingo reportedly was arrested late Thursday night and released Friday. Details surrounding the nature of the alleged incident are unclear.
“The incident stems from an investigation that the department is conducting,” the Arlington Police Department told TMZ. “Mingo turned himself in on his own accord in consultation with his attorney. The bond has been posted and he has been released from custody.”
The charge is considered a second-degree felony in Texas — punishable by up to a 20-year prison sentence and lifetime registry as a sex offender, if convicted. The charge applies to victims younger than 17 years old, according to the websites of multiple Lone Star State-based law firms