The Income Tax Department of India’s website, incometax.gov.in, is designed to assist taxpayers in filing their tax returns online. Every year, taxpayers file their taxes using this website. If you are new to the e-filing and have no idea about where to start from, then keep scrolling the page to know complete details about the same here.
How to Create an Account and File Returns on the Income Tax Website
The instructions below will guide you through logging in and registering on the website:
- Visit the website of the Income Tax. On the right-hand side, look for ‘Register Yourself.’ Similarly, click.
- To register, first choose your user type, whether you are an individual, a HUF, or any other sort of taxpayer.
- Next, provide your personal information, such as your PAN, name, and date of birth. The PAN will subsequently get used as a user ID on the income tax department’s website. Remember that your name should be the same as when you applied for your PAN card.
- On the signup form screen, you’ll get prompted to create a password and security questions you forget your password. Special characters, lowercase and uppercase letters, and lowercase and uppercase letters must all get included.
- Kindly include your mobile number as well as your email account. Add your private email address. Kindly not mention your firm’s email account, as it will get used for all future communications by the IT team.
- Finally, fill out your current and permanent addresses.
- The website will then check your PAN against their database and display a confirmation notice, prompting you to confirm your registration with OTPs issued to your phone number and email address.
- You must finish the registration procedure by entering the OTP1 sent to the mobile number provided. The OTP2 got sent to the e-mail address provided during registration.
Your account has been set up and is ready for you to file your ITR electronically. You can also see your tax credit statements on form 26AS.
How can you access your account on the income tax filing portal?
- Let us now look at how to log into the income tax filing portal after you’ve registered. To access the India income tax login page, go to the government portal’s homepage, where you will find a box on the right side with a ‘Login Here’ button for registered users. Click on it.
- When you click that option, you’ll get directed to a login screen where you’ll need to enter your username and password for your income tax account.
Your PAN number is the user ID. Your dashboard will appear after you log in, from which you can select to e-file or examine any statements, such as form 26AS.
How to Access E-File Your Tax Returns Without a Password?
You can e-file IT returns even if you don’t have a password for the IRS website. Go to the website and begin by entering your income information. You can also upload your Form 16, and we’ll create and file your tax return for you via the IT department’s website.
How to Recover Your Income Tax Department Password?
Your IT department password gets required to log in and e-file your income tax returns. You can change your password if you’ve forgotten it. To access tax credit statements and more, you must be able to log onto your income tax internet account. If you’ve linked your PAN to your Aadhaar number, you’ll be able to reset your password using a mobile OTP sent to your registered phone number.
How can I file a tax return after the deadline has passed?
A late return must get filed before the assessment year ends or the assessment gets made, whichever occurs first. You can file a late return for the assessment year 2019–20 by the 31st of August 2019 or, at the most, before the 31st of March 2020. Late returns, however, will be subject to a penalty of Rs 10,000.
How can you make changes to your tax return before the deadline?
If a taxpayer has to change his initial return, he can file an amended return under section 139. (5). Before Budget 2021, updated or late returns could get filed by the end of the assessment year or the date of the assessment, whichever came first. However, Budget 2021 has shortened this deadline by three months, allowing an assessee to alter or file a later return by the end of the assessment year on December 31st.
How can I make digital signatures for e-filing my taxes?
A digital signature is a digital confirmation of an individual’s identity. The certificates are issued by authorized certifying authorities recognized by the Indian government. Please contact these licensed, certified authorities to obtain a DSC.
In an income tax filing, how can you alter your cellphone number and email address?
Please go to profile settings > contact details after logging in to the income tax filing portal https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/. Change the email address as needed by clicking on the edit icon in the top right corner.
If I’m a salaried employee, how do I file my tax return?
Log on to the income tax e-filing system to file your tax return online.
- Go to https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home and click the “download > ITR return preparation software” tab on the main screen to get the excel/Java tools.
- After logging in using your PAN, password, and captcha, you can unzip the ZIP files and fill in all of the required information regarding income, deductions, and exemptions in these utilities, then upload it.
- Before submitting, double-check the information on your Form 16 (TDS on salary certificate) and Form 26AS (tax credit statement).
- Remember to double-check the return before submitting it or within 120 days of filing it. Without verification, an ITR submission is incomplete.
What documents should get included with the tax return?
There is no need to include any papers with your income tax return. However, the documents should get kept on hand as needed in the future by any competent authority.
E-filing refers to the filing of income tax returns (ITR) using the internet. The process of e-filing an ITR is quick and may get done from the convenience of one’s own home or office. E-filing ITR can save you money because you won’t have to engage someone to file your ITR.