Prosecutors ask judge to reject Derek Chauvin retrial bid

Minnesota prosecutors want a judge to reject a bid by convicted ex-cop Derek Chauvin for a new trial in the death of George Floyd — saying they’ve already proven their case.

“The court has rejected many of these arguments before, and there is no reason for a different result now,” prosecutors said in papers filed Wednesday in Hennepin County District Court.

“Defendant’s scattershot and unavailing attempts to overturn his conviction should be denied,” the papers said.

They also dismissed repeated claims by Chauvin’s lawyers that he did not get a fair trial because of the high-profile nature of the case.

Defense lawyers had asked that the jurors be sequestered throughout the trial to prevent them from reading press reports of the case — but Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill denied the request.

“Defendant is wrong,” prosecutors wrote in the new filing. “He did receive a fair trial by an impartial jury, and nothing requires this court to take the extraordinary step of overturning that jury’s lawful verdict.”

Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill.
During the trial, Judge Peter Cahill rejected a request by Derek Chauvin’s defense team to sequester the jurors.
via REUTERS
Prosecutor Jerry Blackwell
Prosecutor Jerry Blackwell and the prosecution team are seeking a 30-year sentence for Derek Chauvin.
AP

The jury in April found Chauvin guilty on all counts — second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter — on the second day of deliberations.

Chauvin was charged in Floyd’s caught-on-video police custody death on May 25, 2020.

Viral footage shows him pressing his knee on Floyd’s neck until he stops moving outside a Minneapolis convenience store where Floyd allegedly passed a counterfeit $20 bill.

George Floyd's arrest
Derek Chauvin was charged in George Floyd’s death on May 25, 2020.
via REUTERS

The case sparked worldwide protests against police brutality and racial injustice and became a rallying cry for the Black Lives Matter movement.

Earlier this month, Chauvin’s lawyers asked the judge to sentence the disgraced cop to probation, saying he was the victim of “a broken system.”

Prosecutors are seeking a 30-year sentence when he goes before the judge June 25.

Advertisement

Leave a Comment