The seemingly infinite wait for the next Halo game is almost over.
With E3 blowing through in early June, the latest details for the next installment of the Halo series, titled Halo Infinite, are as good as a feast. Xbox (and PC) gamers have waited for a release since details for the game first emerged in 2018, and the release is nearing the finish line.
In 2020, an eight-minute video of Infinite was released; it was panned by fans and critics alike. In response, 343 Industries restructured its ranks and Chris Lee, who was head of Halo franchise for 12 years, stepped away.
Out of development hell comes Halo this year. Here’s what you need to know about the latest in Microsoft’s flagship shooter franchise:
Halo Infinite release date
- Release date: Q4 2021
- Consoles: Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Windows
While there’s no set release date, Halo Infinite is expected to drop in the fourth quarter of 2021, meaning anywhere from October to December. Expect the game to hit shelves in November, just in time for the holidays.
While it has been a long wait between games, the vague news of a release date is welcome considering the title has been delayed more than a few times since it was originally announced in 2018.
Halo Infinite multiplayer overview
As part of this year’s E3 conference, 343 Industries released a 12-minute video detailing several additions to the series, including in-depth character customizations and a grappling hook.
The good news for fans: Halo Infinite’s multiplayer will be free to play on launch date.
Here are some key points for Halo Infinite’s free multiplayer:
- Halo Infinite will have a lot of customization for armor and gear. The released details make this all seem cosmetic, meaning no real pay-to-play system.
- A one-time purchase of the game’s battle pass is infinite, meaning players will only have to pay once and have infinite time to unlock cosmetics and the like.
- The game will run at 120 fps.
- 343 Industries is introducing an anti-cheat system, which is server side.
- Classic game modes will be included, such as Capture the Flag and others.