The death toll from last week’s collapse of a beachfront condo building in Florida has now reached 22, with 126 others still missing
“Over the course of today’s search we did recover two additional victims,” Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.
Crews continue to work at the site of the partially collapsed Champlain Towers South, which pancaked early on June 24, leaving nearly 150 people unaccounted for.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said earlier Friday that many of the newly arriving workers were being housed aboard The Explorer of the Sea, a Royal Caribbean ocean liner that is docked in Miami and freed up by cruise line.
Officials are also keeping an eye on Hurricane Elsa, the season’s first Atlantic hurricane.
Elsa, which move over Barbados on Friday with sustained 75 mph winds, could hit South Florida as early as Sunday, officials said.
In addition to potentially hampering search and rescue efforts, the storm could also impact the stability of a portion of the building that remains standing.
Concerns over shifting debris and instability at the site shut down work for 15 hours on Thursday.